Is Health Sharing Right For You?
Is Health Sharing Right For You?
Are you looking to:
- Save money on medical expenses?
- Replace your current healthcare program?
- Join a community of like-minded individuals offering prayer, encouragement, and financial support to those faced with the burden of rising medical costs?
- Supplement your existing employer-based healthcare?
If the answer to any of these questions is “yes,” Share Healthcare’s medical cost sharing ministry could be the help you’re looking for.
Share Healthcare’s medical cost sharing program brings together like-minded individuals who voluntarily assist one other in meeting medical needs. Though the tradition of medical cost sharing dates to the 1980s when concerned Christians formed the first cost sharing ministries to provide relief from rising healthcare costs, membership in medical cost sharing programs increased dramatically following the passage of the Affordable Care Act, as these programs offer an ACA-exempt solution to the problem of rising healthcare costs.
Medical cost sharing ministries are 501c3 non-profit organizations of like-minded individuals connected through faith who voluntarily share medical expenses. There are no enrollment deadlines to worry about, members choose their own doctors, and all costs are reviewed and approved in advance.
Share Healthcare’s legal authority is derived from the faith of its members. Our healthcare sharing programs are founded upon shared religious and moral beliefs, the Christian tradition of mutual aid, helping one’s neighbor, and sharing in the burdens of others. Membership in Share Healthcare is open to all who share in our Statement of Shared Beliefs and agree to maintain a healthy lifestyle in accordance with Biblical principles of temperance and abstinence from unhealthy foods and behaviors.
Statement of Shared Beliefs
These core beliefs inform our decisions and actions and guide our relationships in community with one another. We ask that each Member affirm that they have the following Shared Beliefs:
- We are Christians, meaning we believe in the God of the Bible, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe Hebrews 13:16, which exhorts, “But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.”
- We believe Galatians 3:28, which reminds us that our spiritual unity is vastly more important than our physical differences, “There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.”
- We believe Colossians 3:10-12, which helps us to recall that we “have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.”
- We believe 2 Corinthians 9:7-8, which edifies us, “So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.”
- We believe 2 Corinthians 8:13-14, which reassures us, “For I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened; but by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may supply their lack, that their abundance also may supply your lack—that there may be equality.
- We believe in the balance of Philippians 4:5, “Let your moderation be known unto all men;” and 1 Corinthians 10:31, “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God;” and John 10:10, “I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”
In order to maintain a healthy lifestyle, which benefits not only you but also your fellow Members, each member agrees to the following guidance:
- Exercising the virtue of temperance to avoid every kind of excess, including but not limited to the abuse of food, tobacco, alcohol, and medicine (over the counter or prescription drugs).
- Abstaining from the use of illegal drugs. Illegal drugs include, but are not limited to, any banned pharmaceuticals; non-prescribed pharmaceuticals; prescribed pharmaceuticals in a matter not prescribed, synthetic drugs; hallucinogenic substances; barbiturates; amphetamines; cocaine, heroin, or other opiates; marijuana; illegal intravenous drugs; narcotics; and all substances declared to be illegal.
- Intentionally incorporating exercise and good nutrition into one’s life. Share Healthcare Members have a moral obligation to maintain their health so as not to place any unnecessary burdens on their fellow Members who share in their healthcare costs.
If you and your family are in need of an ACA-exempt medical cost sharing plan that allows you choose your own doctor and review and approve medical costs in advance without strict deadlines for application or enrollment while also being a member of a supportive, faith-based community of healthy and active individuals offering prayer, encouragement, and financial support, medical cost sharing is right for you.
Please call or complete the form at the top of this page to request your free Decision Guide.